Sunday, November 20, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday Eve!



Eve has been counting down her birthday ever since Asher's birthday in April. She finally decided on a mermaid theme. I procrastinated a bit, but finally settled on a few mermaid type activities to keep the girls happy for 2 hours. (above is a copy of her invite)



First we made mermaid t-shirts. The coloring of the mermaid seemed like a good idea, but I soon learned that no matter how much they color the mermaid on the paper, very little of it transfers to the shirt. The best way to do it is heat up the shirt with the iron and color on the hot shirt. However, this isn't very safe especially with 10 little girls so I had to improvise and I copied what they had colored onto their shirts making it look the most like their own creation.

Eve's shirt

Then it was 'Pin the Fin on the Mermaid'. Once again, I had to paint my own mermaid (I should have just drawn it with markers) because I couldn't find one at the store! Best thing about a 5 year old birthday party: they don't care if you can draw or not. They love it!


My least favorite part about kid's birthday parties, is the fighting while opening presents. Nobody can see, everyone wants their present opened first. Oh well... it must be done and so we made it through with as little screaming and yelling and crying as we possibly could.


Sunday was Eve's actual birthday and we made her the long awaited Mermaid Cake. It was too messy for little kids, when she blew out the candles the graham cracker crumbs flew across the room.

another view of our handy work.

Eve was very happy with all of her family presents. I think she will love her Dad's the best: Tickets to "White Christmas" downtown. She loves the movie and it is one of Mark's favorites too, a perfect Daddy-Daughter date!

Sooo, to go along with the mermaid theme I finally made her the Ariel costume she begged for. It almost didn't get finished. I, who have never really altered a pattern much before, switched the bodice for another one and made up my own design for the fins (the others were humungous). She won't wear it until I switch the flower. It was my fault, I told her I didn't think it went with the style of the dress and she agreed; 'it isn't sparkly enough!' were her words.

This is just a cute one of her modeling it:)


We couldn't have a post without our cute buddies! Asher was just as thrilled as Eve to have parties and he was great even though the presents weren't for him.


I have been bad about getting pictures of Jude. I will be better, this is one of the only ones we got during all the celebrating.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Cute T-shirt idea. And great job on the dress! (Even if the flower isn't sparkly enough!)

For presents, I've devised a system of trivia . . . who ever gets the question right is next to give the present. It kind of keeps the other kids entertained enough. However, I've also seen parties where they just don't open presents . . . that could be a great idea! Then, there is no temptation for the kids to open the boxes and lose all the toys!