Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Alamo & San Antonio

We took a little trip this long weekend and had a great time in San Antonio. Both Mark and I enjoyed it. The kids seemed to have a great time too, but then if you feed them and let them run around, they don't really care where they are. The Alamo was very pretty; I don't know what I was expecting and I think that helped me enjoy it even more (as well as the fact that it's free!).

Here is a brief history of the Alamo (which I didn't know anything about).
Originally named Misión San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo served as home to missionaries and their Indian converts for nearly seventy years. Construction began on the present site in 1724. In the early 1800s, the Spanish military stationed a cavalry unit at the former mission. The soldiers referred to the old mission as the Alamo (the Spanish word for "cottonwood") in honor of their hometown Alamo de Parras, Coahuila.
The Battle of the Alamo (February 23 – March 6, 1836) is the most famous battle of the Texas Revolution. After a revolutionary army of Texian settlers and adventurers from the United States drove all Mexican troops out of Mexican Texas, Mexican President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna led an invasion to regain control of the area. Mexican forces arrived in San Antonio de Bexar on February 23 and initiated a siege of the Texian forces garrisoned at the Alamo Mission. News of the Alamo's fall prompted many Texas colonists to join Houston's army. On the afternoon of April 21 the Texian army attacked Santa Anna's forces in the Battle of San Jacinto. During the battle many Texians shouted "Remember Goliad! Remember the Alamo!" Santa Anna was captured and forced to order his troops out of Texas, ending Mexican control of the area, which subsequently became the Republic of Texas.

This is the front of the mission. You enter directly into the main building and then the grounds are around it.







Our own little Davitta Crocket enjoying her new raccoon skin hat (she was so sweaty from that thing!).



The River Walk
This is such a pretty walk, it is located below street level and is lined with restaurants. Very pretty and our favorite part of San Antonio.





It isn't too hard to guess what Asher is smiling at. Eve can make him laugh like no one else, and that makes her laugh in return, it is hilarious.




Our little nutcase being exactly that! A nut! Notice the curls, all from that sweaty hat she refused to take off until it was getting fury pieces in her mouth.

3 comments:

jay said...

Eve is so cute! And I am jealous of the davey crocker hat, I used to want one when I was a kid.

Remember the Alamo!

jay said...

Oh sorry--this is Kjerstina. Jay wouldn't appreciate me telling falsehoods about his childhood!

Mara said...

Eve is SO adorable and Asher is getting so big!